Use this eTool to support a class discussion about the equation y = a(x − h)2 + k.
- Identify which parameter (a, h, or k) affects the orientation, vertical shift, horizontal shift, vertical stretch, and vertical compression of the graph compared to the graph of the parent function y = x2.
- What values stretch the graph vertically? Compress the graph vertically? Why do those values have these impacts?
- What values cause the graph to flip vertically?
- What values cause the graph to shift to the left? To the right? Why?
- What values cause the graph to shift up or down? Why?
- Are there points on your graph that connect to specific parameters in the equation? Explain.