This tutorial explains how to modify the shapes in Microft Word 2011.
1. Choose insert Shape. Select the desired shape. For this tutorial, I selected Rectangles.
2. This is the rectangle I selected. I wanted no fill, a black line border, and no shadow.
3. Right click (control click) on the image. Select 'Format Shape...'.
4. Choose from the left an attribute. In this case it is 'Fill'.
5. Now choose 'Line'. I chose a black color.
6. Now choose 'Shadow'. Unclick the Shadow box to eliminate a shadow.
7. You will get the rectangle desired. To save the setting, right click the shape and select 'Set as Default Shape'.
Now whenever you select the rectangle in the Shapes menu, it will appear as desired at least for the document created.