CC2 2.2.3: 2-57 Win-A-Row (CPM)
Click on the link below to play "Win-A-Row" (CPM).
1. Drag the yellow and green numbers to the Win-A-Row grid.
- Play one round of rock-paper-scissors to determine who plays first.
- Player 1 places one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 in the square he or she chooses and then crosses that number from the list.
- Player 2 places one of the numbers –1, –2, –3, –4, –5, –6, –7, or –8 in another square and then crosses that number from the list.
- Alternate play until all squares are full and all of the numbers have been crossed off the list.
- Add the numbers in each row and write each row’s sum on the appropriate blank in the “Sum” column. Give the winner of each row one point.
- Add the numbers in each column and write each column’s sum on the appropriate blank in the “Sum” row. Give the winner of each column one point.
- If the two players tie after adding the rows and columns, find the sum of the diagonal (from top to bottom and left to right) to decide the final winner.
- If the two players’ sums are still tied, find the sum of the other diagonal (from bottom to top and left to right) to decide the final winner.
- If the game is still tied at this point, both players win!
2. To sum a row or column, click on the line in front of a row or column typing in the appropriate number.
3. Teacher Notes:
- Play a game against the class to demonstrate the game
- Or ask two volunteers to play a round for the class and record their game on the board.
- Then students should then play the game in pairs.
- Students should come up with their own methods for calculating the total of each row.